Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF En Vogue; issues and

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF En Vogue; issues and
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:00:22 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 2/11/14, Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net> wrote:

" This is "get off my lawn territory".  I'm sure the next thing will be that it
was those "damn no-coders" that ruined everything."

For the record I didn't buy any of the arguments on either side about the code
debate. And I really don't think it has any bearing on anything at all one way
or the other as for VHF weak signal activity level trends. To me CW is just
another tool that I'm glad that I do have access to, just like WSJT modes will
be too once I actually get around to implementing it. So they are both just
tools, nothing more, nothing less..

" The problem has nothing to do with "instant gratification" and much more to
do with no one telling the new guys."

My hunch is just telling the new guys what can be done on VHF+ weak signal will
not likely move them much for getting them interested in actually
participating, there's been no shortage of people and groups trying to do that
all along. While the myth that VHF and up is line of sight is always being
perpetuated by numerous sources, the ability to find out the real scoop on what
can be done on VHF and up just isn't that hard to do. People have to want to.
And why it is an ever decreasing percentage that want to is what truly baffles
me.

Duane
N9DG