[VHFcontesting] ARRL Program Services Committee Appoints Ad-Hoc Commitee

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Program Services Committee Appoints Ad-Hoc Commitee on VHF and above contesting rules
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 19:49:25 -0600
I haven’t seen this announced anywhere and I think the VHF contesting community
will be interested in this new committee. The ARRL Board of Directors July
meeting minutes includes a report on the Program Services Committee (PSC) that
indicates that an Ad-Hoc committee has been formed to review and discuss
various issues related to the ARRL VHF and above contest program.

<
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/2014/July/Doc_16.pdf

While this was announced at the Central States VHF Conference, it has not yet
received much distribution.

Here is the pertinent text:

"VHF and above contesting rules.
The PSC voted to authorize the appointment of an ad-hoc committee to review and
discuss various issues related to the ARRL VHF and above contest program. The
following individuals have been subsequently appointed to this committee:

 Kermit W9XA (Chairman)
 Dave Patton NN1N
 Marty Woll N6VI
 Doug Rehman K4AC
 Joel Harrison W5ZN (pending acceptance to my invite)

All have considerable VHF+ contesting experience and perspective through
involvement with their respective VHF+ contesting communities, and I believe
they will provide us with sound advice and recommendations that will enable PSC
to tackle the challenge of improving the entire contesting program."

Other interesting points to VHFers in the report:

" PSC requested that headquarters staff explores opportunities to emphasize
more activity of the 6 and 10 meters bands. Ideas included a combined 6- and
10-meter contest, a 10 meter grid square award, and emphasis on portable
operations"

and

" Study the feasibility, pros/cons, etc. of potentially making submitted logs
public for ARRL contests.”

as well as

" Investigate potential mobile categories for HF contesting.”

The minutes were written by Brian N5ZGT, PSC chairman.

Many of us were disappointed when the ARRL BOD decided to let the original
VUCAC sunset last summer, as there was a lot of unfinished business, but it
looks like they have decided that there are still issues to be addressed in VHF
and above contesting and will attempt to address them. With a smaller group,
perhaps it will be easier for this committee to converge on controversial
issues. The ARRL web page has contact information for the members that are also
ARRL BOD directors, which I think most are.

While I would hope that the members of the committee would solicit input from
the VHF contesting community, if you have things that you think the committee
should consider now is the time to contact them and get your concerns on the
agenda. Remember to send a copy to your Division Director and Section Manager.
Be productive, reasonable, logical, measured, and innovative with your
suggestions. - Duffey KK6MC

--
KK6MC
James Duffey