Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] VUCC On Indoor Antennas [ Help with confirmati

To: les@highnoonfilm.com, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] VUCC On Indoor Antennas [ Help with confirmations ]
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:43:29 -0400

On 9/5/2014 3:07 AM, Les Rayburn wrote:
Just over six years ago, I read a column from Gene Zimmerman, W3ZZ (SK)
entitled "Chasing VUCC". Having just moved into a deed restricted
neighborhood with a very active homeowners association, I thought my
days of chasing DX were over. I had resigned myself to doing public
service work on the local repeaters, and a little 20 Meter DX while
mobile during my commute.

Gene's article inspired me to adjust my horizons and finally explore the
"World Above 50 Mhz". Armed with his insight and the advice of a lot of
great local elmers like Jimmy Long, W4ZRZ, I took advantage of my large
open attic. Mounting some cut to fit Yagis, and started making contacts.

It's taken a long time, but I've managed to work 112 grids to date. 98
of those have been confirmed via QSL card or Logbook of the World. A
handful have acknowledged our contacts via e-mail but just haven't sent
the cards yet. But others have proven more difficult.

I always send a card along with an SASE. 2nd mailing includes a letter
explaining the indoor antenna situation, including photos of the attic
and another SASE. Third attempt includes a pre-printed reply card with
all information filled in. All they need do is sign it and return it.

Despite that and e-mail requests, a few of those confirmations have
remained elusive. My fear is that that several things may have happened:

  1. QRZ.com information is out of date. Address is wrong and/or e-mail
     is incorrect.
  2. I simply copied the call wrong on the original QSO--and the ham in
     question has no idea why they're getting the card.
  3. I may have worked them on 6 Meters, and logged it incorrectly as 2
     Meters.
  4. They may have become ill or even a silent key.

So, my hope is that some of you may recognize the calls below and have
contact information for these hams, or could shed some light on the
situation. My intention is not to embarrass anyone or "call them out".
I'm sure the mistake is all mine. But I would be grateful for any
information.

The real mystery in the group is Keith, KB5AAB. We've worked literally
dozens of times, and I simply gave up logging the QSO's other than
during contests. His address must be non-valid. I found a phone number
in Mississippi for him, but it was also disconnected.

LOCATOR QSO   Conf.     CALLSIGN        DATE       TIME  LOCATOR DISTANCE

   EL18     1     0       KG5DF           05/04/2010 13:03   EL18 1094
Aprox.
   EL79     1     0       KE4YYD          15/06/2009 01:35 EL79       451
Aprox.
   EMC2     1     0      WA5KCP          05/04/2010 13:20   EMC2 1130 Aprox.
   EM2C     3     0      W5WSH           05/04/2010 12:18 EM2C 820 Aprox.
   EM22     1     0       W5IB            07/11/2009 05:17 EM22       759
Aprox.
   EM32     2     0       N5IOO           05/04/2010 12:34 EM32       573
Aprox.
   EM51    14     0      KB5AAB          13/06/2008 02:50 EM51 273 Aprox.
   EN63     1     0       KICLE           20/07/2008 12:56   EN63 1144
Aprox.

I'm extremely grateful for everyone who has managed to pull out my weak
signal. And also for the advice and wisdom of this group. I'm proud to
be a "VHF Man"...er, "VHF Person" and be part of the gang above 50 MHz.
It's the most fun I've had in my decades as a ham.

---
is active.