Re: [VHFcontesting] What's your favorite IF radio?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What's your favorite IF radio?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 01:44:34 -0500
The HTX100 is better. It has a couple drawbacks too, but mostly I have
lived with them.

The two main ones for me are on CW mode. One is the lack of an offset
in CW. Most ham rigs that do CW will offset the transmit and receive
frequencies by about 700 Hz on CW so you hear a tone when you're
zero-beat on transmit. The HTX-100 lacks this and I have to use the
RIT knob to manually offset. The other is that, on CW, it receives
both sidebands equally well. So in a busy CW segment such as on 6m
when it's open, you hear people both above and below you in frequency.
That isn't so much a problem on the higher bands.

I modified one HTX-100 by removing the amp / heatsink module and
putting an aluminum plate on the rear. I put a low-power 144 MHz
transverter in place of the speaker. I put BNC connectors and
power/switching interface connectors on the plate. The HTX-100
supplies about +16 dBm to the amp module on transmit. That works out
well for a transverter. You don't need a huge attenuator to reduce
this to the 0 dBm level. This makes a nice microwave IF rig.

A lot of people seem to be happy with the FT817 as an IF rig. I have
an FT290RII that I also use as a microwave IF radio. It does quite
well.

73, Zack W9SZ