Re: [VHFcontesting] What's your favorite IF radio?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What's your favorite IF radio?
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:41:56 -0400
Will second Zach's favor of the HTX-100. They seem to be cheaper in sunspot cycle lulls, however. They're Uniden HR-2510 at heart, and RatShack actually made improvements over the '2510 in terms of RX performance, simplifying by dumping AM/FM/LSB. This is my 222 IF for the field. Tip: buy several, mod them all, so you have a back-up. Various issues have cropped up on all three of mine, such as locked up VFO and squirrely RX audio. Having a spare in the parts box in the field is helpful, so you can keep plugging in the 'test / Sprint, then go home and fix/drop kick the bum IF rig.

Using Peaberry SDRv2 for home 222 -- low power anyway, perfect fit. SDR fits in the prev. ver. DEMI case, just put a USB port on the back (or front) and go.

Also use FT-817 for 10GHz.

Also use old IC-251As for my W1GHZ "Cheap Rover" boxes 902-2304. Mod'd the 251A for 0dBm easily, bypassing the last three stages in the PA w/ some '174 jumped over to the T/R sw. RX performance is OK, if you don't mind the vac flour display and overall bulk. Removing the 110VAC PSU can make room for low power xvrtrs if desired. Already outfitted w/ "spare" RCA F plugs on the back, so they meant for you to get in there and mod. However, some 251's are going $100+ higher today than they were 10 years ago on FeeBay..... go figure....

- J