Re: [VHFcontesting] Entering as a Mobile (/M) in Contests

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Entering as a Mobile (/M) in Contests
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:02:32 -0500
The way the rules are now, you cannot work a station more than once from
one grid. A mobile station can only work stations once if that person stays
in one grid. I don't understand why a person would want to do other than
stay in one place and call themselves "portable" if staying in a single
grid. And it's not more than about 35 miles or so to any next 4-character
grid over most of the USA.

So why not just travel to another grid and make a few QSO's? Many Rovers
work people while in motion, traveling to the next grid. I don't see any
reason to add a category or change the rules. The only time working a
station from more than one spot in a single grid square may be of benefit
is on the bands 24 GHz and higher. But most operation up there takes place
in the 10+ GHz contest, which has different rules than the VHF contests.

73, Zack W9SZ