Re: [VHFcontesting] Calculating distances from grid squares

To: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Calculating distances from grid squares
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:40:42 -0400
I've found this site to be of great value, too: http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com

On 4/15/2016 1:42 AM, David Pruett wrote:
The note from KK6MC is a good overview about how distances between two grid squares can be calculated. Once the distance is calculated, all that is needed is a little more math to apply the ARRL's proposed scoring rules to calculate the QSO point value.

People should not worry about how accurate their calculation is, or whether they make the calculation at all. I am a volunteer log checker for the ARRL (ARRL 10M Contest) and all logs are fully scored by the logcheckers and there are no penalties if the claimed score in the log doesn't agree.

Of course, most people like to see their claimed score before they send in the log (to know approximately where they finished in regards to other stations and existing records). My point here is that if your claimed score is off by a few percent due to differences in the distance algorithm you use vs. what the ARRL will use, there will be no negative impact.

73, Dave, K8CC

---