[VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May
From: Drew Arnett <kb9fko@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 16:01:24 -0700
Hi,

I read through the proposal as well.  Definitely a number of changes
that look very interesting.

The only question I have is why no optical?

The only other thing that came to mind is why not let rovers move less
than a grid?  I don't propose it as a change for the UHF contest, but
it is fun to think about.  Even though 10 GHz nets fairly easy
contacts out to 300 to 600 km, you only have to move a few km to score
more points in the 10G contest.  Perhaps in a UHF contest this would
lead to rover pack operation folks don't care for.  But would it lead
to more portable operation?  In SoCal, there'd be motivation then to
hilltop from multiple hills.  I suppose around the lakes, there'd be
motivation to find and operate from different peninsulas/bluffs/or
other vantage points.  And, yes, out on the prairie moving to another
location within a grid can provide another bump to work a different
location or get within range of another metro area.  I try to
prioritize anything that fosters increased activity levels.  Making it
fun for everyone is certainly a factor.

Best regards,

Drew
kb9fko