Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

To: PAUL ROLLINSON <paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:03:42 -0400
From the
article/paper it appears MS and IS are very similar in make-up but
different natural enhancements to create the path.

I've done some MS...great in the winter when you want to heat the
shack. Is it similar?

At 144 MHz, they are not similar in practice. MS comes in short bursts; IS is there more or less continuously. Signal strength on IS is *much* weaker compared to MS.

I believe similar can be said for the two on 50 MHz, but I leave that to someone with more practical experience.

73,
Paul N1BUG