Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 13:38:22 -0600
There is a considerable amount of path loss, so, in theory, all the "good
things" you would want for long-haul troposcatter (or sporadic-E)  are
useful for ionoscatter.  High ERP, low angle take-off and low environmental
noise.  Research says scattering occurs around 80-90 KM up, so more-or-less
the same ionospheric height as some sporadic-E.  Because there is
refraction in the ionosphere, there will be a minimum distance for
Ionoscatter of approx 800-1000 KM ("skip zone"), with a maximum distance
based on your ability to get a signal into that 80-90 KM high sweet spot
(just like Es).  Distances shorter then 800-1000 KM can be covered
(somewhat unreliably) with troposcatter.  Studies show there is a diurnal
(daily) variation in ionoscatter signal strength of around 10 dB, with
minimum attenuation (maximum signal strength) occurring at mid-path noon.

Note that path attenuation increases rapidly as frequency increases.  The
optimum traffic frequency (FOT) for ionoscatter was calculated many years
ago as 50-60 MHz, taking into account path loss vs typical band noise
levels.  At low and mid-band frequencies, path loss increases about 5 dB
for every 10 MHz upward change of frequency.  This is why ionoscatter at
144 MHz is much more difficult.

Jay W9RM
DM58 CO

Keith J Morehouse