Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts

To: "'Patrick Thomas'" <p-thomas@mindspring.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts
From: "Jack WA2IID" <wa2iid@wa2iid.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:44:18 -0500
FWIW:

I roved with Tom for years.  We kept our antenna farm rather small using
pushup masts. We used 8' or less (mostly 6 foot) yagis so even if they
turned sideways, they would not hang out over the road.
Also as I get older it becomes exponentially harder work. I found for small
arrays, push up fiberglass masts worked very well.  We had 3 masts:  One for
the six meter beam or loop.  One for 144, 222, 432 and 1296. the third one
was for the microwave dish (the bottom section for the dish was heavy wall
aluminum for stability) the upper section was an H frame for 903, 2304, and
3456.  No guys except when we wanted to push 6 meters al the way up to 35
feet.

You can get a good idea of it from my web site:

http://www.wa2iid.net/

click on the pictures and they will show large views.
clicking on the picture on the home page shows the operating positions

Good luck

Jack
WA2IID