Re: [VHFcontesting] Logging Rovers vs the log checking robots

To: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Logging Rovers vs the log checking robots
From: Pat Patterson <ppattrsn@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 23:00:33 +0000 (UTC)
Jay,I punched "reply" rather than "reply all".   Here's a repeat of what I sent
to only you. Pretty much what Bruce, W9FZ and Don, NL7CO noted.

I operate as a Rover and haven't had any issues with xxxx/R in my general
logging program or LOTW.  I use N1MM Plus for logging in the Rover then export
ADIF to DXKeeper.  Once in DXKeeper I upload to LOTW.   One of the caveats to
uploading Rover contacts to LOTW is to be sure you build a "Station Location"
in TSQL for each of the Grids you activated. I use the LOTW update feature in
DXKeeper and filter the log to QSOs from a specific Station Location/Grid then
upload those in one batch.  Then repeat the process for each unique grid
activated.  It's tedious but unless everyone does it you can't use LOTW for
VUCC credits.....Grid info will be missing.
After each contest I have a number of LOTW confirmations that are missing Grid
Square info.  For fixed stations just review you home station location in TQSL
and be sure your Grid info is there and correct.  For Rovers you have to go
through the tedium of building the Station Locations and uploading so others
will be able to use LOTW for confirmation of the new Grid you just gave them!
Building them is a onetime deal and after a while you have most already built.
I use a six digit grid for my station locations...allows determination if I was
within my 200km VUCC circle.  Here's a example of a LOTW confirmation that has
grid info:Station
Call Sign      W5VY/R
DXCC          UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
CQ Zone      4
ITU Zone      7
Grid              EM35EE
State            Arkansas (AR)County         Logan
Worked Station
Worked        NL7CO/R
DXCC          UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (291)
Grid             EM04
State           Oklahoma (OK)
Date/Time   2016-09-11 14:32:59
Mode          SSB (PHONE)
Band          1.25M
Frequency  222.10000
QSL           2016-09-24 00:18:04

I agree that the /R is a odd suffix.  I'm still a relative newbie to the VHF
world and don't know the history of /R from a FCC rules standpoint.   I just
did a search and this is the only reference to the use of other indicators with
your call sign.
§97.119 Station identification (c) One or more indicators may be included with
the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant
mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator
is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after,
the call sign. No self assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator
specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.
I think the indicator to denote operation from the Russia Federation would
probably be more specific....R1, RA2, etc.

I hope to be out for the January Test with 6M through 23cm.  Probably stay in
the central and western parts of Arkansas.

73,Pat, W5VY/REM34