[VHFcontesting] Pat Dyer, WA5IYX--Propagation Researcher-SK

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pat Dyer, WA5IYX--Propagation Researcher-SK
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 04:55:54 -0600

Deeply saddened to report the passing of VHF-Man, and prominent DX’er Pat Dyer,
WA5IYX.

Pat contributed greatly to our understanding of sporadic e-propagation through
both his professional research the Office of Telecommunications in Boulder, CO
and later through is personal observations (which rivaled or exceeded that of
professional full-time scientific efforts.) Pat suffered from long term health
problems that made it difficult for him to work outside the home, but continued
his research into Es, F2, and TEP from his home.

Many of his e-skip observations were included in a paper co-written by Emil
Pocok, W3EP.

Pat was one of the foremost TV and FM broadcast band DX’ers and a very active
contributor to the Worldwide TV FM DX Associations’s VHF/UHF Digest. He was
also very generous with his time and knowledge for newcomers like myself.

Pat gave true meaning to one of the cornerstones of our hobby, which is to
advance the state of the radio art. A citizen-scientist bar none, much of what
we know about these mysterious would have remain hidden longer without his
efforts. Efforts made not for money, but for the simple joy of discovery.

Abby and I would like to express our deepest condolences to his friends and
family. I hope that all the mysteries of the ether are known to Pat now—and
that the bands are always open. For the rest of us, the World Above 50 MHz is
bit lonelier place today. Rest in peace.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.