Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:35:38 -0700
Mark VE7AFZ wrote:

I do understand that other rovers have run WSJT-x (with FT8 and other
modes) and may or may not share my views re this.  I also understand that
there are numerous advantages to using modes such as FT8 and MSK144.

*******************************

I see posts lumping these two modes together.  Mark just offered this
opportunity to make MY position clear on this.

MSK144 used as a meteor scatter mode has replaced FSK441, which 15 years
ago, pretty much obsoleted CW & SSB meteor scatter runs for the simple fact
that it was many times more efficient (remember my last post concerning
efficiency building score).  Today, more and more operators are
"discovering" digital meteor scatter since MSK144 has been included with
the WSJT-X program from it's inception (almost).  But, the use of
"JT-modes" on meteor scatter is not a new thing.  It's been around and
adding to overall VHF contest scores as long as JT65 has existed (and, in
turn, increasing EME efficiency, like it or not).

FT8 is the potential problem child of VHF contests and can be a
efficiency killer if not used wisely.  Yes, as KK6MC pointed out, it can
attract new operators to VHF, but it shouldn't be at the cost of pushing
the 'art' of contesting backwards.  Keep in mind this conversation is
happening on a VHF CONTESTING reflector, not on a general purpose VHF
reflector.  I would assume anyone subscribed to this mail list is
interested in the contesting aspect of VHF and ways to increase their
scores, just like the HF contesting mail list.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.