Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting

To: Steve Stahl <ke7ihg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 23:58:44 -0800
Hi Steve:

I should preface my remarks by saying I may have missed something in my testing
and use of WSJT-x over the last several months.

You can add a "/R" to your call in WSJT-x via the general tab of the settings
menu.  In my experience that doesn't always mean that WSJT-x will simply add
"/R" to your call during each transmission and otherwise work as it did before.

To recap a prior post, my suggestion is that anyone planning on running WSJT-x
with "/R" after their call try it out first before a contest (preferably with
two radios and two computers.)  There is at least one other configuration
setting (besides the call sign field) that seems to influence how WSJT-x
handles this use case.

If other Rovers who need to add "/R" to their calls are happy with the
functionality I'm fine with that and don't want to rain on anyone's parade so
to speak.  To recap it is possible I may have missed something vis a vis WSJT-x
operation with a "/R" call during my rove with a prior version of WSJT-x during
the sept contest or during my test session this morning (while running FT8)
with what I believe is the current version so I'd rather not get into a
detailed discussion on this list about my results.   I believe the WSJT yahoo
group is probably a better forum for that type of discussion in any event.

I'm quite sure one can make QSO's with WSJT-x with a "/R" call.  Ideally I just
would like the program to work essentially the same way it does without the
"/R" call (other than appending "/R" to my call.) Based on what I have seen, in
my opinion there is some potential for confusion while running WSJT-x with a
"/R" call.   In light of that I'm personally hesitant to run WSJT-x in a
contest with a "/R" call.   I realize others have reportedly done so and have
been happy so clearly there can be differences of opinion re this.

All in all I'm a happy WSJT-x user and appreciate the efforts of the
development team.  To recap I expect rovers who need to use calls with "/R"
(who also want to run WSJT-x) make up a small fraction of the VHF and up users
of WSJT-x who are in turn only a portion of the overall user base of WSJT-x so
I don't want to blow this concern of mine out of proportion.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com