Re: [VHFcontesting] Portable 50 MHz beam antennas

To: David Olean <K1WHS@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Portable 50 MHz beam antennas
From: barry@k7bwh.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:04:16 -0800
As a hilltopper in the Pacific NW, I’ve found that parking on a ridge where the
ground slopes away steeply in a desired direction is magic for tropo.  I try to
be within a wavelength of the edge. In fact, a good slope has had better
results for me than altitude above sea level. Indeed, when I parked on an
Oregon peak well above a strong temperature inversion layer then I made no
distant contacts at all.
I use a 5-el 6m beam at 20’ mounted to a trailer hitch.
I expect that a backpacker doesn’t need much mast if he’s on a sharp peak or
cliff.

Barry K7BWH