Re: [VHFcontesting] Portable 50 MHz beam antennas

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Portable 50 MHz beam antennas
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:16:39 -0500
While discussing portable 6 meter antennas, does anyone recall the 2
element Telrex (at least I think it was a Telrex). It was a conical
style, like a TV antenna, and all the elements were split. When
assembling, the solid rod elements would go into spring clips on the
ends of the boom. It took, literally less than 90 seconds to assemble.
One u bolt to a mast, and you are on the air. This was in the late
1960s. Sure like to find another one to see how it performed.  --Mike,
WV2ZOW

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM,  <barry@k7bwh.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> ft vs a halo at 35 ft. This was a real test and not a quick exchange during
>> a contest. The path was about 280 miles long and the halo was a definite
>> winner over the low yagi for the rover station.  A home station was on the
>> other end of the path.  The rover was W2GE/r with N2CEI and WB2ONA at the
>> Packrat contest location in the Poconos in FN21. I was operating the home
>> station in FN43 in Maine. Height above ground makes all the difference on 50
>> MHz.
>>
>> Dave K1WHS
>>

>>> On 2/16/2018 5:07 PM, Bill Olson wrote:
>>> Hi all, This might be a good time to bring up "height above average
>>> terrain" for a 6 meter beam. I'll digress here a little then will get back
>>> to the point. I used to rove with the lower 6 bands. Antennas were all
>>> mounted on a rotor fixed to roof racks on my truck. There were ~ 8 ft yagis
>>> and loop Yagis on 2 thru 1296 BUT on 6 meters I had an old 4 element Yagi
>>> on a 12 foot boom. This got mounted right above the rotor so was maybe 7
>>> feet off the ground. (Yeah the ~9-10ft long 6M elements hung over the sides
>>> of the vehicle a little - never was a problem with law enforcement hi).
>>> Everything worked great except 6M. It had reasonable SWR and I knew the
>>> Yagi worked because I had used it on the tower.. but signals were weak
>>> except when the band opened for e-skip.. Well that should have tipped me
>>> off right there but It wasn't until I had a talk with Pete, K9PW, who used
>>> to operate with the AA9D multi-multi VHF contest station in central
>>> Illinois. They had done some experiments with
>>>  their rovers and found that just a HALO antenna at 25 feet WAY out
>>> performed a multi-element Yagi at 10 feet.. Well duh, of course the Yagi's
>>> pattern in the vertical plane got more and more elevated off the horizon
>>> the closer it got to the ground and at 10 feet there was practically no
>>> response on the horizon. I haven't done any of the math BUT just
>>> experimenting with it, I arrived at about 20 feet for my rover 6M antenna.
>>> I built a 2 element beam on a four foot boom. This could easily ride on the
>>> roof racks  with the elements pointing fore and aft. I put together a 20
>>> foot mast and that got stowed up there too.. So, yeah, no operating 6m
>>> while in motion, but with a trailer hitch sort of mount for the mast, it
>>> really only took a couple minutes to get the 6M beam in place.. Armstrong
>>> rotated for me, but here in Maine pretty much everyone is in the same
>>> direction and with abroad pattern it was pretty much set it and forget it..
>>> The results were quite amazing and all of a sudde
>>>  n I worked stations on tropo at several hundred miles..
>>>

>>> To get back to the back-packer antennas, folding up the antenna and making
>>> it "packable" is one thing but then you need a 20 foot mast too and a way
>>> to keep it up in those high mountaintop winds!! The gain of the antenna is
>>> not doing you any good if it's peak is above the horizon and there is a

>>> www.qsl.net
>>> 6 meter, 2 element yagi. A simple, compact and effective antenna for 50
>>> Mhz. This antenna was built in about an hour after using K6STI's AO