[VHFcontesting] Difference between types of Rover?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, ve3kgc@gmail.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Difference between types of Rover?
From: JamesDuffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:45:14 -0600
Larissa - You asked:
“Now, I can see the difference between Limited and Unlimited Rover categories,
but why
is there a separate category for Classic Rover? What are the differences?”

The big difference between the Classic Rover class and the Unlimited Rover
class is that the Classic Rover class is limited to 100 QSOes with other
rovers; there is no such limitation in the Unlimited Rover class. The Unlimited
Rover cannot contribute the score earned to a club score. In VHF contests, the
club competition is big, so this is a significant difference. There are other
differences, the Unlimited Rover can have an unlimited number of operators, the
Classic Rover is limited to two operators and everything that the classic rover
uses to make QSOes must be hauled by one vehicle while in the Unlimited Rover
one doesn’t need to haul anything with the rover at all.

The Unlimited Rover category was instituted to address what many saw as a
problem to VHF contesting and roving, that is pack roving. To what an extent
pack roving was (is?) a significant problem depends on many factors. I won’t go
into that here, but you can get more than a flavor of it by perusing the
archives of this list for the first 7 or 8 years of this century. Among other
things it is an interesting view into psyche of VHF/UHF contesters. Whatever
one’s stance on pack roving, the Unlimited Rover category has had few, if any,
entries from pack rovers over the 10 years of its existence and in my opinion
has failed to gain traction as a class. Not allowing Unlimited Rovers to
contribute to a club score has kept the pack rovers in the Classic Rover class,
and by judicious choice of QSOes with other rovers, large scores can still be
generated by pack rovers in the Classic Rover class even with the 100 QSO
limit. Hence there is no real incentive to go to the Unlimited Rover class.

I have operated in all three classes and get the most satisfaction out of the
Classic Rover class, but by operating Limited Rover I am more competitive
nationally and the setup is quick. There is much less competition operating in
the Unlimited Rover class, but I have found that winning that class in a
division where there is only one other entry does little to sate my competitive
appetite.

I hope this answers your question. If not, ask again. - Duffey KK6MC

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM