[VHFcontesting] Gear at Dayton

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Gear at Dayton
From: Dan Evans via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 00:34:59 +0000 (UTC)
I made it up to Xenia on Saturday.
The VHF/UHF forums were great, as usual.  The VHF+ Reverse Beacon Network
sounds like it would make a good club project...
I was a little disappointed in the flea market.   It probably had a lot to do
with all of the rain, but there just didn't seem to be that much there.  I was
passively looking for amplifiers.  I saw several very nice 6 meter KW+ units,
that were well beyond my budget.  I also found a few brick amps, but I have
been burned on used brick amps before, so I was afraid of those.  I was hoping
to find a good deal on an AM-6154 / 6155 for a bit more punch on 2m, but if
there was one there I didn't see it.
I would also like to find a hinged base plate for the old "TV" type tower.
There used to be a vendor on eBay that carried them, but sadly, no longer.   I
did spot one for 25G, but the dimensions are just a bit different.  It looks
like I will have to homebrew one.
I did get to play with a new FT-991A at the Yaesu display.  I've been drooling
over these for a few weeks now.  I have an FT897D setup that I'm planning to
sell to raise funds to buy a new '991A soon so it was nice to get to check one
out in person.
I've been to Dayton many times, but this was my first trip to Xenia and I was
impressed.  Yes, it's far from perfect, but in my opinion it's a far cry better
than Hara Arena.  Looking forward to going back next year.
73Dan
-- K9ZF  Vice President, Clark County Amateur Radio Club,Amateur Radio
Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el The once and future K9ZF /R no
budget Rover  ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:  List
Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books  Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham
Mailing list!

    On Monday, May 21, 2018, 5:49:10 PM EDT, Bob K0NR - email list