Re: [VHFcontesting] sloppy operating

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] sloppy operating
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 19:27:01 -0500
On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 4:39 PM Kim <whensley11@comcast.net> wrote:

> We know one operator literally out of the "big gun CB" operators, and he
> carries this mentality over to SSB and FT8.  Quite a few hams have sent him
> snapshots of his wide signals … to no avail.  It's frustrating.

Mike wrote

Then don't work them.

When I lived in Indianapolis years ago we had a new CB convert that
got his ticket went over to R&L bought a new rig and immediately put
his turner power mic on it.  It was hideous sounding.  The 145.250 was
the daily hangout for all of us field engineers / service techs /
delivery drivers etc so it stayed pretty busy all day.  We'd all tell
him to turn it down ... turn it down ... TURN IT DOWN to which he'd
reply, he liked the way it sounded ... which we told him he's not the
one that has to listen to it.  So we just all refused to even
acknowledge when he'd come up on the repeater and ID.

Sooooo he goes over to R&L complaining his radio wasn't working.  They
knew what was going on (everyone listened to the 5.25 during the day)
and told him that they could fix it so people would talk to him.  He
drops it off ... they go get a old OEM mic out of the back put it on
the radio and told him it'd be ~$30 or whatever number.  He blows a
gasket and told them he wasn't paying and he HAS another mic just like
that at home.  They told him then to use it and gave him the radio
back without the OEM mic.  He comes back on the air ~sorta bitching
that we were a bunch of arrogant @$$'$ and we never hear much more
from him.

The bottom line ... the hobby doesn't need lids like that so it was a win.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

STX ASEC - Training