Re: [VHFcontesting] We're about to lose 3456 MHz band entirely

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] We're about to lose 3456 MHz band entirely
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 07:31:37 -0700
Anybody who has been paying attention to the impending switch from 4G to 5G
cellular technology has known, or at least strongly suspected, this was
going to happen.  The move to open the 3 GHz band for cellular
communications has been ongoing for some time.  As a matter of fact, the
spectrum from 3.4 to 3.6 GHz has been designated as "globally harmonized".
In other words, a world-wide operating band.  This spectrum was reallocated
in the UK a couple years ago and most ITU Region 1 countries have reserved
it for commercial use for many years.  The USA is VERY late to the 3 GHZ
party.  This "harmonization" was discussed and acted upon during WRC2015.
Read all about it here:
https://www.gsma.com/spectrum/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/3-GHz-in-the-5G-era.pdf

The "MOBILE NOW Act", passed in 2017 does not specify ANY frequency bands.
It mandates the "making available" ("ripping away from current occupants"
in non-Govspeak) of 255 MHz of new spectrum below 6 GHz.  One can read a
summary of the bill here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/19

The old satellite C-Band (remember the big old TVRO dishes of the 1970's)
is currently being ripped to shreds by this same MOBILE NOW act.  A huge
number of commercial users still depend on this band

Like Wayne, I don't recall anything from the ARRL about this, but it may
have been released back in 2015 after WRC.  But, anybody in Amateur Radio
who thinks they can make any kind of impact or change to this FCC docket
(remember, the 3456 band was virtually re-allocated at WRC 15 as GLOBALLY
IMPORTANT) is deluded.  3.4 is a shared band in ITU Region 2 and I don't
believe Amateurs are even primary users.  This isn't bad old UPS package
delivery trying to sneak in and steal 220 MHz - this is communications
GLOBALIZATION at work, sanctioned by the ITU years ago.  Maybe, just maybe,
an organization could lobby for some sort of compensation for loss of
equipment.  This is common in commercial reallocations.  But, since we're
not a commercial entity. . .

Why did this happen ? Who forced this change ?  If you cherish and depend
on a cellular smartphone every waking minute of your life. . . well, YOU
did.  Bashing the ARRL or anybody else isn't going to change anything.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.