Re: [VHFcontesting] Busy times during VHF contests

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Busy times during VHF contests
From: Detrick Merz <detrick@merzhaus.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 19:39:40 -0500
This is an underrated tactic in VHF contesting. Roving is chaotic, so using
APRS is a fantastic idea. With a bit of automation, your beacons can report
not only your location, but current band/mode/etc. Do it with something
like a Raspberry Pi and you now have a reliable time source for those
time-sensitive digital modes. Not to mention a way for your logging
software to always know what grid you're in automatically, and the ability
to let you quickly know what heading to use to aim at another station. I've
never quite understood why APRS hasn't seemed to take off for VHF roving.

-detrick
K4IZ