Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 08:34:48 -0600
I think FT8 is a fine mode for weak signal DXing and I have been using it
on and off, but I don't really care for it and won't seriously participate
in VHF contests if that's what I have to use on 6M to work anybody.  Why ?
Because I AM a contester - that's been pretty much 90% of my ham radio
operating for 45+ years - and I'm relatively good at it.  When I see
operating tactics (or mode choices) that slows down your run rate, being
happily embraced by others who say they are contesters, I'm confused...and
disappointed.  If serious HF contests were multi-mode and FT8 was
decimating the CW (or phone) bands during, say, Sweepstakes, you would see
instant action and I guarantee it would not be kind to WSJT.

As far as conjuring up tricks like giving extra contest points for being on
the mode you should be on anyway, that is ONLY going to encourage the "real
contesters" to get back on SSB or CW - not the masses.  The masses
represent 90%+ of the contacts we make in a contest and the vast majority
of them don't care what their score is.

Bottom line, if FT8 or FT4 is the only mode going on 6M, my grid is off the
table and has become instantly rare unless someone roves to it - I'm the
only guy here. . .

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner