Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

To: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 18:13:30 -0400 (EDT)
Keith,

I've been considering a very, similar, if not the same, scenario. I support
your proposal. I haven't publicly suggested it because I was concerned about
the backlash of suggesting a contest without the digital modes. My thoughts: a
June Legacy VHF+ Contest (with or without legacy digital modes for MS/EME). No
FT8/FT4 for all the reasons you made in the your email.

I'd also like to suggest changes to the January and September contests:

I generally agree with a 3 category proposal - Digital, PH/CW and Mixed. It is
one that I have been thinking a lot about. Kinda similar to the ARRL 10m
contest. However, after reading more posts and thinking in more detail, my
biggest concern is; how to shift the casual contester or digital operator from
"digital only" to operate on PH/CW and/or Mixed? I'm concerned that with the 3
category model that the digital operators (many of them may have been casual
PH/CW ops before digital or as W9RM referred to as the "masses") may not have
an incentive to switch from digital over to PH/CW during the contest. Those ops
may not have an interest in participating in the Mixed category (or any
category) and therefore result in little or no increase in PH/CW participation.
This may leave the more serious vhf+ contesters on PH/CW or Mixed but the
number of participants on PH/CW may still be low. The potential for another
unintended consequence? Thoughts?

One thought I had is to design a well thought out Survey Monkey (or equivalent
- surely some on this list has experience with) and send out, over many
reflectors (vhf+, contests, contest clubs, etc.) and other on-line mechanisms,
to gauge operators likelihood of participating on PH/CW and what would
incentivize contest operators to operate PH/CW in vhf+ contests (January and
September).

73,
Ed K3DNE

(Now in SC - EM94ae with equipment in storage for 50 - 3456MHz just waiting for
this issue to play-out before planning hilltop, mountaintop, coastal portable
contest operations. I really don't have an interest in operating digital)