Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 00:15:27 +0000
Hello Jay and others interested in this topic....

I had posted my last email before I saw this post from Jay. Interestingly, we have some thoughts on this that are not exactly the same, but similar.

Since I get a large part of my scores in all of the VHF contests from meteor scatter and EME, the concept of banning ALL digital would be a disaster for me.  The idea of banning only FT8/FT4 in June has some appeal, but unfortunately, "the masses" would then just not participate at all.  That is the opposite of what we all want.  Maybe this would be one of Arliss' unintended consequences.  AAAaaaaRGH!

I have a feeling that this FT8/FT4 thing is going to be a real tough nut.  As I previously posted, I only see this on 6M.  I don't see it on 2M or above.

I continue to believe that we should not "poke the bear".  Let's get another year of experience and see how things shake out. Whatever we do, we need to be very mindful of the unintended consequences thing.  Thanks for your thoughts and ideas....

73 Marshall K5QE