Re: [VHFcontesting] An idea for the sprints.

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] An idea for the sprints.
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 08:31:41 -0700
Yes the one time that I recall roving during a 4 hour sprint the timing was
very tight for me but I have a lengthy drive between viable roving sites and
need at least 15 min to setup when stopping at a new site and a somewhat
shorter time period for tear down.

On the other hand I have worked Rovers during sprints who have been able to
rove thru a 4 grid intersection with a rover vehicle that required little or no
setup at each stop and they did very well.

I like the single band 4 hour sprints.  I have found it hard to get new locals
with weak signal gear to participate, but a few times I made some reasonably
successful efforts to get a number of locals with FM gear to participate.  My
preference is to work distant stations using weak signal modes so I no longer
go out of my way prior to the sprints to drum up locals using FM, but I make a
modest effort to work locals on FM who happen to show up.  These days I make a
post to a local weak signal reflector to remind people about the sprints and
figure those who want to operate will do so.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com