Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better del

To: Herb Krumich <wa2fgk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better delete!!
From: alex@kr1st.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:34:34 -0500
Hi Herb,

I agree. These contests have been minimized in significance (cheapened?) to a level that they cannot be seriously considered competitive events anyway. I call them activity weekends. They are basically "everything goes" events now with a few rules sprinkled in to make it look like a contest. Heck, everyone can now print their own participation award and look like a winner, and QST prints maybe a whole page about it if you're lucky.

Unless the ARRL indicates a willingness to seriously look at VHF contests to turn them into (dare I say "fun") contests again, it is useless to even discuss the rules. You've seen in a recent article that they look at the (logging) data only in terms of participation. The competitive element of a contest is secondary, if that even. Whenever you see data presented in a way to defend the status quo, you know that that is where the discussion ends. We vent a little on a lists like these and then the dust settles, until the next event. Rinse and repeat. :)

73,
--Alex KR1ST