Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

To: Chet S <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:57:13 -0500
Some people like FT8. Some people find it dull. Some people like CW. Some
people find it dull. Some people like Amateur Radio. Some people find it
dull.

It's a wide hobby and many people have many different interests. You're not
doing it wrong, nor is anyone that finds it boring.

The goal is to figure out how to get as much activity on as many of our
bands as possible, and get as many people on the air having fun as possible.

Personally I don't think that's another contest, and that we need to find a
way to co-exist inside the same contest. I'm not sure of the best way to do
that. We have 3 contests in a year - we should try a different approach on
each one (and yes, I realize there are weather and band conditions that
change these contests) and see what approaches work well and which don't.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM <chetsubaccount@snet.net> wrote:

> I must be doing something wrong.
>
> FT8 is supposed to be dull, the computer does all the work and shovels
> contacts into your log while you eat donuts with coffee.
>
> When I am using FT8, I have both 6M and 2M going on it using more than one
> antenna on each band. I am continuously looking from window to window to
> see
> what is coming in from where, and if I want/need it then switch to or
> rotate
> an antenna that will favor my chances of logging that QSO without screwing
> up the other band. Check what grids are needed and move an antenna that way
> to occasionally favor that direction.  Look at telnet spots. Try the other
> sequence. Are 6M E's now strong? Time to switch to SSB or CW? Are you sure
> the other station heard your RR73? If not take back manual control of the
> TX
> message and send that a few more times. Don't click "log it" yet. Decide
> when to give up, clear the messages, and restart a CQ.  Yell at the screen.
> Constantly on the go. An hour or two of doing this takes much more energy
> than being on USB eating donuts with coffee while pushing the F1 key to
> send
> your CQ message.
>
> I must be doing something wrong.but having a lot of fun.
>
> 73,
> Chet, N8RA

73/Yours in Scouting
Sean Waite, WA1TE