Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!
From: alex@kr1st.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 14:02:28 -0500
I think the best approach is a separate contest for digital modes. It's done on HF, and it's done in other countries. This is not terribly difficult.

The points per mode approach is doomed to fail I'm afraid. That may be a solution if there would be an overall lack of activity. Then you can make a contest more attractive by allowing to work the same station on a different mode. However, in the areas where the complaints are the loudest, there is no lack of activity. In fact, the level of activity is sufficiently high on FT8 to warrant its own contest, and disallow non burst type digital modes in the "regular" contest.

By doing nothing, or by trying to somehow change the rules of the current contest to make it more attractive to operate on other modes and bands, I think you can be assured that the VHF contests will turn into digital mode contests. I'm OK with that if that happens, but I'd rather operate both a traditional _and_ a digital mode contest.

Now an enterprising club could take advantage of the current situation and use it as an opportunity to organize a digital mode contest within the current contests...

73,
--Alex KR1ST