Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:03:36 -0400
Hi Ron & other 222 addicts,

I was drumming my fingers on the lawn chair all afternoon while visiting friends by Province Lake, as I could not wait to put RF through the new 222 coax feedline on 222 Activity night!. The XYL and I were visiting one of her old boy friends from high school. I was there physically, but my thoughts were with how the 222 band was going to be and whether all of my jumper cables would work properly. I have to face it... I am a GEEK!

I got things running a few minutes before 7 PM local time and the first signal I heard was W8ZN in FM09. He was CQing on ssb. He did hear me and turned his antenna and we had a nice rag chew on SSB for a few minutes. Neither of us missed a word and I was hoping that things would be great, but any enhancement was either not there or short lived! I tried with KE8FD in Ohio and K9MRI, all all I heard were meteor bursts. Those directions for me are OK but not the best. My best direction is down the coast, South, and over to the East.  I have a pipeline to Africa on HF.  African VHF activity is a bit spotty, so I am waiting for my first contact there!  But I did run with N1GC in EM95 and actually heard him on tropo. I could not copy what he was sending, but I could tell that he was there! At one point I heard a few CW characters for about 1 or 2 seconds. It was weak and I think it was a meteor burn that was very weak.

I worked a goodly number of folks including W8ZN FM09 SSB, WA3NUF FN20 SSB, VE2XX FN25 SSB, W9KXI FN12 SSB, K1DY FN54 SSB,  N1SFE FN31 SSB,  W1AIM FN34 SSB, N1DPM FN32 SSB, VE3DS FN03 on CW, WA3EOQ FM09 on CW,  N1SV FN42 on CW.  WA3EOQ was rather easy this night, and after I worked him, I heard someone else calling and it was the Polish Beer Impressario, WZ1V of all people.  I tuned back to monitor the contact and see if I could hear Howard. I switched to my LVA so I could hear you better and Howard really peaked up here about S2 or S3 and well above the noise on the lower gain antenna! Howard told me that he had swung his beam 15 or 20 degrees off my heading then, so it was a really big tropo peak.  I also note that N1DPM worked Howard on a big tropo peak as well.

In other news, WQ0P worked K9MRI over a 560 mile path last night. I am not sure but I think it was via FT8.  W5EME was in there as well. I listened for meteors from Rick, but at 1460 miles, I heard nil.

The only changes needed to my 222 setup after last night is that one jumper cable from the wattmeter to the coaxial switch needs replacement. It is Andrew 1/2: Superflex and it got fairly warm. It was the right length, so I used it, but it really needs to be LDF-4. I am working on that today.

Thanks to al who were on and making noise. I saw many new calls on the chat page. That is great!!

73

Dave K1WHS