Re: [VHFcontesting] [PackRats-Members] List of East Coast Rover Sites

To: CHRISTOP PATTERSON <w3cmp@comcast.net>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, packrats members <packrats-members@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [PackRats-Members] List of East Coast Rover Sites
From: Roger Rehr via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 00:15:43 -0400
Hi Chris,

On the W3SZ/K1RZ Database map at https://w3sz.com/map.php there are (as of today) 175 rover sites which were reported to us by active rovers as being good, current sites.  They will be displayed on the map as grey markers if you click the "Sites" button near the left upper edge of the map.

If you hover over a site marker, it displays a pop-up with the 10-digit grid, a short description, the bearing/distance/reverse bearing from your site, more info on the site, the first name and call of the source for the site, and the date that the site was added to the database.

Left-clicking the site marker gives you a persistent pop-up with the same information and a path line.

Double-left clicking gives you a path profile to the site.

If you type "S" while the map has focus and you zoom in you will get a nice satellite view of the site.

If you type and hold the "Alt" key while you left-click the site you will get a zoomed Google Maps display centered on the site, which allows you to use Street View in addition to seeing the satellite map, if Street Views are available for the area near the site.

If you type and hold the "F2" key while you left-click the site you will get a zoomed Google Earth display centered on the site, which allows you to use Street View, 3D view, etc.

While the database does not currently include means of access or hours of access those could be very easily added to the database if they were provided to us.  Although the satellite map itself, Google Maps, and Google Earth provide images (including Street View when available for the latter two), additional images could also be added to the database with little to no difficulty.

I think having one clearing house for beacon information, namely WZ1V, has worked extraordinarily well for our community, and I think the same thing would hold true for rover site information. While we show beacon info on our map, this information is obtained exclusively from WZ1V's excellent beacon list as you know if you have ever accessed the beacon info on the map.

Let me know if I can be of further help, if there are additional functions or parameters that you want added to the rover site information available in the database / on the map, or if you want to discuss further, on- or off-list.

73 and have a great week,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ