Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Dave and Fred and all

To: newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Dave and Fred and all
From: "Ron Klimas WZ1V" <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 12:25:59 -0400
I've been doing the Analog Only category since it came out.
The issue with it is the vast majority of ops go with All Mode,
yet stay on FT8 mostly or all the time. This leaves SSB-CW desolate especially
6M.
If more FT8-ers spent time on SSB-CW it would help their score and everyone
elses.
With an average setup CQing on 6M SSB-CW is a largely a waste of time without
Es.
The only way I can make any contacts at all is call CQ a lot on 2M,
and beg for skeds on the chat page (which mostly get ignored).
I frequently tune around to see if anyone new got on or anybody else
found someone new then tag along up the bands if possible.
That works less than half the time. Mostly the entire contest is like watching
grass grow.
To prevent myself from falling asleep while the voice keyer goes unanswered,
I take an opposite approach from what the serious HF contesters do.
I sit cramped in a folding metal chair all weekend.
The pain in my butt keeps me wide awake !

73 Ron WZ1V