[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:42:20 -0400
Yeah, I know, Everyone is tired out after the big Sept Contest weekend, but I hope you all show up tonight for 222 MHz Activity Nite and also the  222 MHz Sprint.  I hope activity is high and everyone has a Pile-O- Fun.

I will be there on 222 MHz making noise.  SSB and CW are the preferred modes, but I usually check FT8 when things slow down on SSB & CW later in the evening.  A few things could happen this evening. I suspect a bit of Western tropo across Lake Ontario and Erie.  It could happen and reduce path loss by 10 dB or so.   The Moon is also rising as the Sprint starts. At 2300 UT (7 PM EDST) The Moon is just rising in Maine. The Moon will peek over the horizon at WQ0P in EM19 just a few minutes after 00:00  UT.   The Moon will rise at 01:50 UT in California, so  just about everyone in the USA will have a moonrise during the 222 Sprint. I will keep one eye on the HB9Q Chat page  (220 MHz) looking for anyone who wants to attempt a rising Moon sked using Q65B-60.  I am hoping other capable 222 MHz EME ops use this time to get on. That will help insure that signals are heard. Faraday rotation can be a problem on 222 MHz with linear polarization. I use my tropo antenna on EME, so it suffers if the Faraday Rotation is wrong.

My plan is to be ready to go at 23:00 UT.  If anyone shows up for a moonrise try I will accomodate that as best as I can.   You should have 500 watts or so and a single long yagi for best results. I am not able to work 100 watt stations.  E mail me before hand if you want to try a rising moon try. If I can work you direct, don't bother with the moon route, we can try a moon sked another day when things are slower!!  Good luck and I hope to work a bunch of stations!!

Dave K1WHS