Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest suggestion

To: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest suggestion
From: Paul Bourque <pbourque@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:45:59 -0400
Hi Rick,

The 2 caveats that I see in having separate CW/SSB and Digital "weekends"
of the contests are that:

1.  The big multi-op stations who mount a large-scale mountaintop effort
(think W2SZ) will not be able to (or willing) to assemble their stations
for 2 weekends let alone one weekend. This will dilute the number of
available stations to work on each of the weekends.

2.  When will we be able to schedule these weekends? June has a rather full
contest calendar (plus graduations, and other family stuff), and an
additional weekend in September might be tough with the kids back to
school, and family stuff- and let's not forget football season.

The solution I always thought would work is allowing stations to make
contacts on an analog mode AND a digital mode on each band. Hopefully this
will encourage stations to leave FT8 when conditions are good, and pick up
a mic or a key.

And you're right- the cheese has definitely been moved! It's a new game out
there folks. I remember when I was first licensed I could effectively
contest using a 5W FM handheld and a 5/8 wave 2m whip on the car. When the
FM tri-band Kenwood mobiles were popular you could easily move stations
from 144 to 220 and 432 and it was lots of fun using FM only (think late
90's early 2000's.) I stepped away from contesting and most ham stuff in
the early 00's because life got in the way, and boy was I surprised to find
very little FM activity when I returned to VHF contesting in the 2019 June
contest.

We do have to realize that it's not going to go back to how it was then,
and I'm all for embracing new technology and newer operators, but at heart
I'm a phone contester, and that's where I find the fun factor is, but we do
need to adapt.

73,
-Paul N1SFE