[WriteLog] Voice keying and FT1000D

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Voice keying and FT1000D
From: k5zd@ma.ultranet.com (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:37:34 -0000
Hello everyone,

I have a problem that has me stumped.  I am trying to use my fancy new Dell
computer to do voice keying with my FT1000D.  My old computer had a low tech
SB64 and it worked great.  But the new sound card just doesn't seem to be
able to drive the radio correctly.

When I use the mic through the sound card, I can get the levels set fine.
But when I play a recorded wav file, they are way down.  I have all the
audio mixer controls at full scale.

This creates another problem.  With everything up so high, I get all kinds
of background noise and hiss when I am not talking.

The FT1000D mic input is 600 ohms.  I think the sound card output is 4 or 8
ohms.  Could that be part of the problem?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Randy, K5ZD

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
11 Hollis Street, Uxbridge, MA 01569 USA
E-mail k5zd@ma.ultranet.com