[WriteLog] Features and Modules

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Features and Modules
From: ve3zi@hotmail.com (Roger P)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 06:13:04 PDT
It was nice to get a response to my message!

Yes, Writelog does contain a lot of contest modules. My sums may be slightly
wrong here, but only 13 of the modules are not for North American contests,
and of those 6 are RTTY. 13 of the modules are for QSO parties rather than
contests. I have no idea how many different contests are staged each year,
but would guess that it runs into the thousands.

Some of the contests which I would like to see supported include IOTA, BERU,
European Field Day and the RSGB 21/28 MHz. With the probable exception of
IOTA, which is clearly a major international contest, I doubt that Wayne has
great demand for these. Although I have not yet used any of the additional
modules which have been shared recently, I too am sure they are of decent
quality and are certainly much appreciated. But unless somebody is kind
enough to write one for my particular interests I cannot fully use Writelog.
It is clearly impossible to include all conceivable contests, but it is
quite realistic to include a built in wizard.

The IC970 is not supported by Writelog, despite a request having been made
well before the release of V10. Probably an oversight.

Wayne has a very difficult task in balancing the different demands made upon
the time he has available for Writelog. Of course PSK is a 'new, hot' mode
and of course people are keen to try it. At the moment, however, it is very
much a minority interest. Are there any PSK contests, and if not why should
it be in a contest programme? The huge majority of amateur activities and
contests are on SSB or CW.

73 Roger
VE3ZI