[WriteLog] Log in GMT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Log in GMT
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:17:12 -0000
The tzseconds/tziseast information is obsolete in version 10.

WL version 10 gets ALL of its time information from Windows
and you can control ALL of the parameters from the Windows
"Date/Time" control panel (Use Start, Settings, Control Panel,
then double click the Date/Time icon--or, if you have the
default Windows task bar, which has a clock display on it,
just double click on the time display on the Windows
task bar.)

There are two tabs on the Date/Time control panel. One
sets the time of day, and the other says what time zone
the computer thinks its in. The only thing you must do
is make the information in those two tabs agree: the
time you enter on the "Date & Time" tab MUST be the
correct time for the "Time Zone" you enter in the
other tab.

The way I recommend getting this right is to set
the "Date & Time" to GMT, and set the "Time Zone"
to "(GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia".

There are three common ways folks misread this:
(a) if you set the computer's "Date & Time" to GMT, but
set the Time Zone to your local time zone, then WL (and
every other program on your computer that uses Windows time)
will be wrong by GMT offset
(b) the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings..."
button is often misread. That button does NOTHING except
in ONE particular case: if your computer is running during
a daylight savings time jump for the time zone you have
indicated on the same page, then Windows will jump your
clock for you (possibly after having thown a very
annoying and dispruptive dialog box on top of whatever
you were using your computer for at 2:00AM).
(c) Windows comes with two time zones labeled "GMT". ONLY
ONE OF THEM DOES WHAT HAMS WOULD EXPECT. Its the one
labeled "Casablanca, Monrovia". THe other one is local
time in London, which does a one hour summer time jump
and, unless you live in London, is not going to do what
you want.

Hope this helps.

Wayne, W5XD