[WriteLog] Spot Filtering

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Spot Filtering
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:11:32 EDT
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the response.  As I indicated in my original post, I've already
tried this and find that Telnet nodes do not implement the filtering in a
consistent manner.  I have yet to succeed in filtering out-of-band spots
during contest operation telnetting into a well-equipped node. Even if
successful filtering at the node level was possible, it would require
several "set filter" commands with precise syntax - there's no simple
command that will do it for you.  It seemed a sensible suggestion that this
be implemented in the WriteLog software at some future time, since to this
programmer, it doesn't seem too complex an undertaking to drop spots with
inappropriate frequencies.

I don't think the bandwith hogging issue bears much weight for Telnet
connections.

FWIW, I also find that WriteLog's "Follow Me" filtering choice doesn't work
consistently (at all?).  Only the single band choices seem to work for me,
but then I'm missing new mults spotted on other bands.

73,
Barry  N1EU

To: <writelog@contesting.com>