[WriteLog] USB ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB ports
From: wa0sxv@mellinger.com (Mike Mellinger WA0SXV)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:58:32 -0600
Actually, the White Heat (and Belkin) problem with sending FSK in kind of
interesting.  I suspect a problem with Writelog control of the comm ports.

In essence, what appears to happen is this:

    1.  Writelog turns on PTT.
    2.  Writelog sends FSK characters, assuming that they are NOT buffered
and therefore it won't finish until they are finished.
    3.  Writelog drops PTT.

Unfortunately, it appears that the characters are buffered.  So all
characters are properly sent, but step 2 finishes early due to the buffering
and the transmitter no longer has PTT somewhere along the way.  If you
control PTT by hand while all of this is happening, the characters are
properly sent.

Of course, we also have the other Writelog oddity.  Using the normal COMTROL
PCI boards, DX4WIN (and others) will control the rig off of a COMTROL
Rocketport port.  Writelog will not.

Bizarre.

73,
Mike WA0SXV