[WriteLog] USB ports Summary?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB ports Summary?
From: jbrannig@optonline.net (Jim Brannigan)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:50:45 -0500
Thank you all for the many responses......
The group is using Rocketport, Belkin,White heat, Entrega and SIIG USB
ports. With varying success.
A few report good results with SIIG and LAVA PCI cards.

My computer is a new DELL Dimension 4100 running WINMe at 866Mhz. I run a
peer to peer network with another DELL 4100 (WIN 98 at500 mhz.) and IBM
laptops.  The hub is a LINKSYS router connected to a cable modem.
Logic5 is the regular logging program.
The computers are primarily for the family (fun and work) and have a full
complement of WINDOWS software.

The former computer at this location was an NEC P-75, no problems, it just
ran outta gas.

I like CW contests from the keyboard using an OMNI-VI+ and AEA PK-232, for
packet.
For CW keying I use the same RS-232 line for the TNC and keying the rig.
Switch boxes allow me to run DOS SSTV, RTTY(from the TNC) and 2M packet from
one RS-232, the rig is on the other.
PSK-31, Rotor control, Voice contesting are on the drawing boards.....

With the DX contest approaching........I would seem that my options are to
acquire WRITELOG, use the on board serial port for keying and packet and try
some USB port for rig control...

73, Jim