[WriteLog] Soundcard preference SUMMARY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Soundcard preference SUMMARY
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:09:30 -0500
Recently, I posted a request asking what sound card I should use (had
access to an SB16 and PCI128). The original post is listed below. Some
asked for a summary of responses, so here it is.

What a great group...and thanks for all of the valuable advice!

Original post:

I am building a new ham computer (AMD K6 500 MHz) with Windows 98 (ver
B). I have a choice of using either a Creative Labs SB16 (CT2910) from
the old ham computer or a Creative Labs PCI128 (CT4750). The ASUS
motherboard I am using has both ISA and PCI slots. Both cards check as
"7f" on Wayne's soundboard check program.

Any preference as to which one I should use? Any caveats, cautions or
known problems with either? I had pretty good luck with the SB16; is the
PCI128 better, worse or don't care? I thought I read something here
previously about mischief with the PCI stuff...

Use the SB16 .... the PCI128 used (brain dead) Ensonic silicon that
fails to properly control the mixer.  If my analysis is correct, it
uses the same mixer for input and output.  I have a PCI-128 is my
"spares" box on the closet shelf until I find another machine in the
house to swap with.

I got so tired of problems with the PCI-128 that I replaced it with
an SB Live Value (< $50 at the time).

73,
Joe, K4IK

Hi Carter. I used 2 SB16 for years with no problems and ease of
adjustment
for the various modes. I also built a bigger/faster machine and figured
what
the heck, so installed the new SB128. I think its as good but sure does
require more tweaking to keep things from being over driven, over
modulated,
etc. Am going to put one of the SB16 back in. I installed a SB128 PCI in
the
wife's, (KX7LDS) machine and it seems to be a little more "stable" than
the
SB128 ISA ones. From the various discussions on the reflector, it seems
vary from machine to machine also. I think I would try the SB16 before
making a decision on anything else. GL and 73 de
Wayne k7wm

I had great luck using WL with a SB16 card.  In some ways, the older
cards
had more audio output and seemed to have less hum than the newer stuff.
Certainly no reason to buy a card if you already have one.

Actually, WL makes it worthwhile to have two sound cards in your
computer.
I have one sound card connected to my speakers for multimedia work, and
the
second one is always connected to my radios for use with WL.  Saves
having
to rewire everything for each contest.

Randy, K5ZD

If you have been reading the mail, I have been fussing about the PCI128.
It
is brain dead compare to the the SB16. If I only had an ISA slot I would
regress back to my SB16. Here is my major problem - all of the volume
controls are ganged that is if you want to adjust an output volume you
also
change the input volume or worse if you mute an output, the same input
is
muted. So this means you have to leave the line in channel unmuted so
that
rtty decoder get a signal but the line in signal appears at the line out
along with the AFSK wave signal. Which means among other things you can
not
use VOX because there is always line in audio on the line out channel.
UGH

My recommendation use the SB16

Jerry, W6IHG

Last fall I built a new shack computer using the K6 chip and W/98. I
used
the CT2910 [SB16-k8vt] from the old computer and have been extremely
happy with it. I
use it with the digital modes and as a voice keyer.

73 de Larry K7SV

So, that's it. Looks like the winner is...

the tried and true SB16. Thanks once again to all those who responded!

73/Carter/K8VT