[WriteLog] Sound Blaster 16 PCI

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound Blaster 16 PCI
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:26:25 +0000
All,

I went out yesterday to buy a Sound Blaster Live! Value board. All I could
find was the fancy MP3  or gaming versions. But I saw a Sound Blaster 16
PCI (Model SB4740). The box says "based on ISA-based SB16..." so I bought
it instead. Installed it today and it works.

First of all there are independent controls on the input and output. So I
can Mute the Line In playback while still Selecting the Line In signal for
the rtty decoders. This gets rid of all the noise in the output that
triggers the VOX constantly. And the wave volume can be set to the proper
levels.

The board has a low level output for "amplified speakers" and a high level
output for "non-amplified" speakers. The instruction booklet says "Creative
Mixer allows you to ... select and mix different audio sources during
playback and recording" Havn't tried that yet but sounds like you could get
transmit audio along with incoming signal on the wave recordings.

So far the quick look seems much better than that brain dead PCI128.

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
http://www.pixos.com/designs/
jpixton@shentel.net