[WriteLog] ANARTS Time ON/OFF & Exchange - Newbie Warning

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ANARTS Time ON/OFF & Exchange - Newbie Warning
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:00:10 -0500
Welcome back Steve!

Good question about off times.  I had to go back and re-read the rules
about off times and it is only mentioned twice in the rules.  It states "Not
more than 30 hours of operating is permitted for Single Operator Stations."
"Non operating time can be taken at any time during the contest".

However, it does not define how long a rest period must be (no minimum).

I know that's not your question, but with that in mind, the real question is
how short of a period of time does WriteLog consider a "rest period" for
ANARTS.

To see the time-off that can be shown in the log, go to the Edit pull down
menu and select "Times on/off..." and a window will pop up and show your
off-times.  You can then select which off-times you want to show in the
log.  You would normally do this after the contest or during one of your
rest periods.  Once you select which off-times you want to show in the log,
click OK and they will then be shown in the very far right hand column of
the log (you will need to scroll over all the way to the right).  You can then
click on that off-time and edit it.

My 2000 ANARTS log showed these off-times...
0511Z-0553Z
0611Z-1059Z
1222Z-1502Z
etc.,

Per the rules, you could take a ten minute off-time, but I don't know that
WriteLog
will show a ten minute off-time.  The only place you could edit such an off-time
would be in the ASCII file generated after the contest (I could be wrong!).  My
example showed that the short off-time in my log (as seen by WriteLog) was from
0511Z-0553Z.  So without further testing, I can't tell you how short a period
WriteLog
will call a rest period.  You might want to enter calls into a "test" log, take
a 10 min.,
then 15 min, then 20 min. and eventually 30 min. break to see what WriteLog
calls
a rest period.  I am guessing that 30 minutes might be the magic number.

On your second question, INSERT does send the exchange but you have
to set it up in your writelog.ini file by using word pad or any text editor to
open the file.  It's located in your Windows subdirectory.

Under [Configuration] in writelog.ini you must add a line like this:

SendCallExchangeKey=3

In this example, the number 3 is used to represent the F key where your
exchange buffer is stored.  F3 is my exchange buffer.  So now when I hit
INSERT, the contents of F3 are sent BUT...

INSERT is meant to be used as a shortcut for bringing a highlighted call
from the RTTYrite window into the Entry Window AND sending F3 at the
same time in one keystroke.  If you already have a callsign in the Entry
window, then just F3 will work.  Hitting INSERT with a callsign already in
the Entry window could cause WriteLog to grab a different callsign than the
one on the Entry Window.

INSERT looks at the RTTYrite window for calls highlighted in Green or
Yellow.  Green highlighted calls are new stations and Yellow highlighted
calls are new multipliers.  If there is more than one highlighted call, several
different things can happen.

If a green highlighted call and a yellow highlighted call exist, WriteLog will
grab the multiplier and put it in the Entry window and send the contents of
your exchange buffer (in my example it is F3).  If there is more than one
highlighted call and they are all the same color (Yellow or Green), WriteLog
will take the last call shown on the screen and put it in the Entry window, etc.

WriteLog will never grab a Red highlighted call (dupe) although sometimes I
wish it would because I work all dupes to save time.

By the way, my F3 buffer is "%C 599-04-%T BK%E"

To go along with INSERT you can use the + key on the numeric key pad on
your keyboard to perform the combination of logging a QSO and sending the
contents of your QRZ buffer at the same time.  To do this you add another
line in your writelog.ini file under [Configuration] like this:

QrzFunctionKey=4

Where 4 is the F key where you have your QRZ? buffer.  In my case, I use F4.
But you can you any key F2-F11 (or F1 is you use CT-compatible which I do not).
The same is true for your Exchange buffer.

I hope this answers your questions.  If you have more questions, fire away!
Hope to
see you in ANARTS but work will not allow me to do a full effort.  However,
perhaps
if I'm very creative with my "off-times" perhaps I can do a full effort!  Every
time
the phone rings I can call it an "off-time"! hi

73, Don AA5AU