[WriteLog] Any way to interface via USB or IRda

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Any way to interface via USB or IRda
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:26:27 -0500
> The only warning is that many of the USB to serial adapters do not support
5
> bit Baudot code.  Which means they will not work for RTTY.  I believe
there
> are numerous post on this in the WL archives.

True, and I've made some of them.  I have to warn again about being very
careful, and I would try VERY hard not to buy a USB-serial adapter without a
testimonial from someone doing exactly the same thtings I wanted it to do
with the same hardware.  I've tried at least 4, and some did some things and
some did not.  At least 2 of them wouldn't even read my MP.  There just
doesn't seem to be any standardization of USB->serial.  It would be a huge
mistake to assume a USB-serial port would behave like a motherboard serrial
port!  ;-)