[WriteLog] SO2R Question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R Question
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:08:06 -0000
Dick and Randy

Oh I had done everything else as you outlined *except* crucially check the
auto resume box. Seems pretty obvious I know, but I had told myself that the
box which says AUTO CQ  next to the speed indication *was* auto resume which I
now see is garbage! This is at least in part the mindset of a migrated TR
user, where that additional step is not required. I think it is as Randy says
about the mouse wheel function, that *this* topic also deserves more attention
than it gets in the documentation. However since this is unlikely to occur I
wonder whether Scot/K9JY might pick up on it for his excellent pages? Now can
we rerun the CQ contest please so I can pick up some of those mults that I
missed on the second radio!

Think you can relax now? forget it!

Now I'd like to pose a more operational question, which might come under the
heading of privileged information; if so I will QSY. Do you SO2R gurus
actually use the split headphone function? I have been doing so , even with my
home brew switch box under TR, but confess I have never been entirely happy
with my ability to copy weaker callers ( say S5 ish) on the run radio. Now in
W5XD keyer auto mode it is much more difficult to quickly switch to both ears
in the run radio( unless I am being dull again?), Ctrl M, AltR, N.... jeez, or
mouse control.

Of course WL makes this much more efficient with the latch facility, but even
so....... I have begun to believe that this may not be the best way to go, and
"normal" headphone operation from the Radio menu in conjunction with the Ctrl
X latch facility may be preferable. There is a price to be paid of course,
which is that period between auto CQs ( say) 1.5 secs, when you are locked out
of the S&P radio if there are no callers. I begin to think that this may be a
good trade off however. Waddya all reckon?

73
Clive
GW3NJW

 Dick Green wrote:
> Now, why is AUTO RESUME not working? I assume that you have properly set a
> Timed CQ and have checked the AUTO RESUME box. Have you also defined the
> correct CQ function key in the Timed CQ dialog box. If so, then it could be
> that the AUTO RESUME feature only works in CT compatibility mode. That's
> what I use: F1 is the CQ key and the message is stored in F10. How do you
> have the CQ key defined?

Randy wrote

> It does work correctly for me.  You do have to have Auto Resume checked.
>
> These features were a critical component of my success in CQWW CW.  I can
> attest that the WriteLog + W5XD keyer SO2R support are the reason that I may
> have won the USA SOAB category.  Please don't ask Wayne to change anything!!
>
> That said, it does take some experimentation and practice to get truly
> proficient at all the modes the WL can present.

GW3NJW
gw3njw@gw7x.org
Contest Cambria-http://www.gw7x.org