[WriteLog] SO2R Question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R Question
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:40:18 -0000
Dick Green wrote:
> The simple solution is to get a Windows key mapping program. I
> use a little piece of shareware called Keyboard Remapper

Yes I have thought long and hard  about how to do that, and looked at Macro
Express, good, but not good enough for the price I thought.I'll certainly take
a look at the one you suggest.

> The bottom line is that
> the keys for all these functions are neatly grouped under my right hand.

It seems clear from what you say, that the US keyboard is substantially
different to the UK equivalent, but I'm sure that is susceptible to management
as long as we don't want  to multi op together!

> Proprietary information? Nah. I've gotten a lot of help from more
> experienced contesters and this is one of the best things about contesting:
> the majority of participants are very generous with their knowledge. When we
> all learn more, it makes contesting more competitive and more fun. It's
> still up to the individual op to translate that information into winning
> skills.

Very nice to hear Dick, and entirely my own sentiment. My attitude has always
been, that if you're daft enough to want to know how I do it, here's the
griff, if you can do it better, damn good luck to you. We are none of us too
old to learn new tricks. I've been contesting since Field Day 1959, about two
months after I got my ticket, and I learn something new in *every* contest.
The day I stop, nail down the lid!

and Dan wrote
> I've always had problems with one
> radio in each ear.  Using 'normal' plus 'latch' gets
> me exactly what I want - the radio I care about in
> both ears.  I probably miss some stuff (esp. on
> the 'S&P' radio), but I prefer that to the confusion
> and poor audio of one radio in each ear.

As many opinions as respondents so far, but that's just fine, we are all
different. I do think that the psychology of split ear listening is an
acquired art, and one which I have not yet mastered. I guess we can all
remember when pile ups were just a big mess until we learned to concentrate on
just one signal and pull it out, that is until we later learned to spread our
concentration and pick several out at the same time, a la pile up tapes! I
feel sure that listening in both ears is a similar but not exactly equivalent
technique,and practice is of the essence.

Thanks again chaps, all good stuff.

73

Clive

GW3NJW