Fw: [WriteLog] I can't stand it anymore - Pro Writelog Comment

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [WriteLog] I can't stand it anymore - Pro Writelog Comment
From: Carleton Reed" <carleton@lemoorenet.com (Carleton Reed)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:50:04 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00FC_01C18883.4C2E98A0

I agree 100% with all the msgs I read below.  I am a new user of WL. I =
purchased it in November. Im still learning how to use the program. The =
10 meter contest was the very first contest using WL. I have seen so =
many msgs on how the 10 meter module needs work or  how it didnt log in =
the QTH box correctly, or I didnt score the points right or there was a =
problem with the multipliers or reporting.=20

Well I must have done EVERYTHING right using WL during the 10m contest, =
either that or I must be one of the few that have a version of WL that. =
has NO bugs or problems and I know that is no true.  I had absolutely NO =
problems with logging, with the scoring, with entering the QTH or =
multipliers. One note on the QTH..... when working a DX station, if they =
are not in the contest but giving you a contact then their number will =
be 001 or you cant count it. After the contest, WL continued to do =
everything correctly when I created my reports to send off to ARRL. I =
created both reports to email them and paper reports as if I was going =
to mail them. All without a problem.

Despite all the problems I been reading about on how WL needs work or =
improvements in the 10 meter mudule, on a positive note, WL worked =
perfectly for me. And it makes me feel good to know that Im not the only =
one that feels WL is a very nice program. I agree with all the msgs sent =
to the reflector below from Tom, Dirk, Barry and Richard. Its time to =
start being positive on what WL can do and helping new ones so that they =
dont get discouraged. I have yet to interface my TS-570 with my computer =
to use some of the other features WL has to offer. But when I do, I will =
follow the setup intructions on Scots webpage which hadnt failed me yet.

Carleton, AA6GZ

---------

If the threads on the reflector would stick to WL issues without beating =
up on those who write the code and support it, it would be a good place =
to visit. Most of the time there is a nauseating and endless debate on =
peripheral issues, like the merits of supercheck partial or having the =
program fill in states (like it fills in zones in CQWW).

The bandwidth is unacceptable. I delete 95% of the WL emails each day =
without opening them.

Tom, K5RC=20

Dear,

I have been reading the wishes and other messages about WL on this =
reflector.

I am a WL user since july and I have run this software without any =
complains in several contests.

Last weekend I was using WL in the OK DX RTTY contest for several hours =
and also in the 10 m ARRL contest in SSB and CW modes.    I switched =
between the two contests in a second wihtout any errors or warnings.=20
I used WL in 3 modes back and forth , it was a pleasure to use.

I have updated my software to the 10.29E version .

I say thanks to the software writers , beta testers and K9JY

Seasons Greetings,
73=20

ON4ADZ=20
DIRK DESLOOVERE.

--------

I agree with Richard 100%. Insult or piss off Wayne and he will ignore=20
you. If enough people do it, who knows, he may give it up.

Here's my real life analogy:
In the late 80s/early 90s, I was produced and sold kits for a packet=20
modem I designed, for the Commodore 64 (Digicom64). The first few=20
years (I call it the "first wave") were fun, getting a lot of positive=20
feedback, and I even made a little money (less than $10/kit, actually).=20
Eventually the first wave ended, and the second wave began. It=20
included guys who never built anything before, but were too cheap to=20
buy it from me pre-assembled.  Some of the PC boards (approx 3x5=20
inches with several ICs and other small parts) returned to me looked=20
like they were assembled using a blowtorch or 200 W Weller gun.  A=20
few I could handle. At some point, it became too time consuming and=20
frustrating, and I just said "I don't need this. I have a life and real =
job,"=20
and that was it for me.

Let's not do this to Wayne.
73,
Barry W2UP

On 19 Dec 2001 Richard Thorne wrote:

> I can't take it any more.
>=20
> Writelog is a great program, has good support and continues to =
improve.
> Did anyone see the posting from Ron about 10.29 being released which
> address's several of the issues that have been discussed on this
> reflector?
>=20
> These guys have real jobs to make a living and write/distribute WL in
> their spare time.
>=20
> How many of you have purchased other programs (non-ham radio related)
> and had compatibility problems with the video card or sound card ect
> ect.  Hey its part of having a computer.
>=20
> What I can't stand, and I mean can't stand is the following type of
> post:
>=20
>     ' I can't get  xxxx to work, it should, the author should have
> thought of this before, he needs to fix it now'
>=20
>     ' The documentation stinks I can't even print it out'
>=20
>     ' This feature would be a piece of cake to code, where's Wayne?'
>=20
> ect, ect, ect
>=20
> This reflector is a support group and a very good one.  If you can't
> find it in the manual or the archives ask your questions here, 9 times
> out of 10 you'll get a decent answer.  The 1 out of 10 is probably a
> hardware issue on your pc and no one here on the reflector will be =
able
> to help you.
>=20
> But please stop the posts about the author needs to this or that and =
it
> needs to be like ct or tr or na or....  Hey I was a CT and NA user
> before Writelog.  But everything is going to windows, dos is on its =
way
> out if not all ready gone.  Writelog is doing a very good job and I
> think a little support for Wayne and Ron would go a lot farther than
> complaining that it doesn't do this or that.
>=20
> If you have a problem ask your question here.  If you have an idea to
> make the program better post it here.  But stop the complaining.  If =
you
> don't like it use something else.  I for one am going to sign up for
> another year of releases and continue to support the program.
>=20
> THANKS to Wayne and Ron for writing and supporting a great program.
>=20
>=20
> --
> Richard Thorne - N5ZC
> Amarillo, TX
>=20
>=20

        =20

------=_NextPart_000_00FC_01C18883.4C2E98A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I agree 100% with&nbsp;all the msgs&nbsp;I read =
below.&nbsp; I=20
am a new user of WL. I purchased it in November. Im still learning how =
to use=20
the program. The 10 meter contest was the very first contest using WL. I =
have=20
seen&nbsp;so many msgs on how the 10 meter module needs =
work&nbsp;or&nbsp; how=20
it didnt log in the QTH box correctly, or I didnt score the points right =
or=20
there was a problem with the multipliers or reporting. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well&nbsp;I must have done EVERYTHING =
right&nbsp;using WL=20
during the 10m contest, either that or I must be one of the few that =
have a=20
version of WL that. has NO bugs or problems and I know that is no true.  =
I had=20
absolutely NO problems with logging, with the scoring, with entering the =
QTH or=20
multipliers. One note on the QTH..... when working a DX station, if they =
are=20
not&nbsp;in the contest but giving you a contact then their number will =
be 001=20
or you cant count it. After the contest, WL continued to do everything =
correctly=20
when I created my reports to send off to ARRL. I created both reports to =
email=20
them and paper reports as if I was going to mail them. All without a=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Despite all the problems I been reading about on how =
WL needs=20
work or improvements in the 10 meter mudule, on a positive note, WL =
worked=20
perfectly for me. And it makes me feel good to know that Im not the only =
one=20
that feels WL is a very nice program. I agree with all the msgs sent to =
the=20
reflector below from Tom, Dirk, Barry and Richard. Its time to start =
being=20
positive on what WL can do and helping new ones so that they dont get=20
discouraged. I have yet to interface my TS-570 with my computer to use =
some of=20
the other features WL has to offer. But when I do, I will follow the =
setup=20
intructions on Scots webpage which hadnt failed me yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Carleton, AA6GZ</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter=20
style=3D"FONT: 10pt =
arial">------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT face=3DArial lang=3D0 size=3D2=20
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">If the threads on the reflector would stick to WL =
issues=20
without beating up on those who write the code and support it, it would =
be a=20
good place to visit. Most of the time there is a nauseating and endless =
debate=20
on peripheral issues, like the merits of supercheck partial or having =
the=20
program fill in states (like it fills in zones in CQWW).<BR><BR>The =
bandwidth is=20
unacceptable. I delete 95% of the WL emails each day without opening=20
them.<BR><BR>Tom, K5RC</FONT> </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT=20
size=3D2>----------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dear,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I have been reading the wishes=20
and&nbsp;other&nbsp;messages about WL&nbsp;on this =
reflector.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I am a WL user since july and&nbsp;I have run =
this=20
software without any complains in several contests.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Last weekend I was using WL in the OK DX RTTY =
contest for=20
several hours and also in the 10 m ARRL contest in SSB and CW=20
modes.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I switched between the two contests in a second =
wihtout=20
any errors or warnings. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I used WL in 3 modes back and forth , it was a =
pleasure to=20
use.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I have updated my software to the 10.29E version =

.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I say thanks to =
the&nbsp;software&nbsp;writers&nbsp;, beta=20
testers and K9JY</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Seasons Greetings,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>73 </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>ON4ADZ </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>DIRK DESLOOVERE.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
align=3Dcenter>----------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I agree with Richard 100%. Insult or piss off Wayne and he will =
ignore=20
<BR>you. If enough people do it, who knows, he may give it =
up.<BR><BR>Here's my=20
real life analogy:<BR>In the late 80s/early 90s, I was produced and sold =
kits=20
for a packet <BR>modem I designed, for the Commodore 64 (Digicom64). The =
first=20
few <BR>years (I call it the "first wave") were fun, getting a lot of =
positive=20
<BR>feedback, and I even made a little money (less than $10/kit, =
actually).=20
<BR>Eventually the first wave ended, and the second wave began. It =
<BR>included=20
guys who never built anything before, but were too cheap to <BR>buy it =
from me=20
pre-assembled.&nbsp; Some of the PC boards (approx 3x5 <BR>inches with =
several=20
ICs and other small parts) returned to me looked <BR>like they were =
assembled=20
using a blowtorch or 200 W Weller gun.&nbsp; A <BR>few I could handle. =
At some=20
point, it became too time consuming and <BR>frustrating, and I just said =
"I=20
don't need this. I have a life and real job," <BR>and that was it for=20
me.<BR><BR>Let's not do this to Wayne.<BR>73,<BR>Barry=20
W2UP<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>On 19 Dec 2001 Richard Thorne wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; =
I can't=20
take it any more.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Writelog is a great program, has good =
support=20
and continues to improve.<BR>&gt; Did anyone see the posting from Ron =
about=20
10.29 being released which<BR>&gt; address's several of the issues that =
have=20
been discussed on this<BR>&gt; reflector?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; These guys =
have real=20
jobs to make a living and write/distribute WL in<BR>&gt; their spare=20
time.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; How many of you have purchased other programs =
(non-ham=20
radio related)<BR>&gt; and had compatibility problems with the video =
card or=20
sound card ect<BR>&gt; ect.&nbsp; Hey its part of having a =
computer.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; What I can't stand, and I mean can't stand is the following =
type=20
of<BR>&gt; post:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' I can't =
get&nbsp;=20
xxxx to work, it should, the author should have<BR>&gt; thought of this =
before,=20
he needs to fix it now'<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' The=20
documentation stinks I can't even print it out'<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ' This feature would be a piece of cake =
to=20
code, where's Wayne?'<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ect, ect, ect<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
This=20
reflector is a support group and a very good one.&nbsp; If you =
can't<BR>&gt;=20
find it in the manual or the archives ask your questions here, 9 =
times<BR>&gt;=20
out of 10 you'll get a decent answer.&nbsp; The 1 out of 10 is probably=20
a<BR>&gt; hardware issue on your pc and no one here on the reflector =
will be=20
able<BR>&gt; to help you.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; But please stop the posts =
about the=20
author needs to this or that and it<BR>&gt; needs to be like ct or tr or =
na=20
or....&nbsp; Hey I was a CT and NA user<BR>&gt; before Writelog.&nbsp; =
But=20
everything is going to windows, dos is on its way<BR>&gt; out if not all =
ready=20
gone.&nbsp; Writelog is doing a very good job and I<BR>&gt; think a =
little=20
support for Wayne and Ron would go a lot farther than<BR>&gt; =
complaining that=20
it doesn't do this or that.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If you have a problem ask =
your=20
question here.&nbsp; If you have an idea to<BR>&gt; make the program =
better post=20
it here.&nbsp; But stop the complaining.&nbsp; If you<BR>&gt; don't like =
it use=20
something else.&nbsp; I for one am going to sign up for<BR>&gt; another =
year of=20
releases and continue to support the program.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; THANKS to =
Wayne=20
and Ron for writing and supporting a great program.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
--<BR>&gt; Richard Thorne - N5ZC<BR>&gt; Amarillo, TX<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
Kutner,=20
W2UP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;=20
Internet: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:w2up@mindspring.com";>w2up@mindspring.com</A><BR>Newtown,=20
PA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Frankford Radio Club<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =

<BR><BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00FC_01C18883.4C2E98A0--