[WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:37:14 +0000
Any FT847 users,

I swiped my FT847 from my Oscar station to use as a second radio for the
Roundup. Writelog controls it nicely, I get frequency readout of where I am
tuning and the tuning rate is nice.

But my observation is that the FT847 is going to overload under contest
signals ie the bandpass filters are really bad even using the DSP. I have
had several rtty contacts which seemed to be desensed by other strong
signals, mfsk, 3 to 5 Khz away.

I have to quickly make a decision to go back to my old Icom IC751 with good
rtty filters but no rig control from Writelog for a second radio.

Can anyone confirm that I am in trouble trying to use the FT847 on rtty???

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net