[WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY
From: Richard.Elling@GoldensRule.com (Richard Elling)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:57:52 -0800
Jerry Flanders wrote:

> The FT847 does not have a dedicated RTTY mode, so you have to use it in the
> SSB mode. I have both the optional SSB narrow filter (maybe 2.0 KHz- I
> forget) and the CW narrow filter as well, but there doesn't seem to be a
> way to use the CW filter when in the SSB mode.

But you can use the LSB mode when in CW :-)
Press the CW mode key and it toggles on the LSB mode which does a
frequency shift.  Caveat: I haven't tried this with RTTY yet, mainly
because I can't seem to find anyone on 10-40m running RTTY at this
moment,
but it does seem to work fine for PSK31.  Also, I send soundboard audio
in through the MIC connector rather than the data port.  I can't attest
to which SSB/CW mode it picks when audio is sent in via the data port.

Under normal circumstances, we don't need the narrow filters often.  But
given the crowded band and good conditions last weekend, it was almost
mandatory :-)  For the record, we ran W5VZF on the TS-850 though... my
FT847 stayed at home in CA.
 -- richard, kb4hb