[WriteLog] RE: Software Memory Leak (maybe!)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: Software Memory Leak (maybe!)
From: mowery@shianet.org (Mark and Beth Mowery)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:03:26 -0500
Hi Gerry,

There is a bug in some versions of Windows that manifests itself if you have
large amounts of RAM, like you do.  The operating system gobbles up memory
for swap files until it actually takes over enough to cause your system to
report that it has a memory problem.  Pretty ironic that adding memory
creates a memory shortage, hi.  I've noticed it a few times on my PIII with
512 M of RAM.  I read about this in PC Magazine months ago, so if you're
interested, a search of their web site might give you more details.  I'm
sorry, but that's about all I can remember of the article.

One other thing I do recall is that they recommend manually setting the
memory available for Windows to use as swap files to see if that cures the
problem.

Mark AA8TC
http://www.qrz.com/callsign.html?callsign=aa8tc